Monday, October 17, 2011

Not Fair!

To my lovely wife....
   Posting pictures of home cooked food is banned unless I am in the States to enjoy it! German food isn't bad, but it isn't your good southern cooking!!!

   We actually ate American tonight at a newly opened diner here called Pink Girls. I wish I would have took pictures of the restuarant. Pink and blue leather seats and booths. The waitress -two of which were the owners- wore old timey pink checkered dresses. American classics playing over the speaker - and I mean OLD stuff. One of the cooks even had real "Elvis" sideburns. And the food was super good. I think the onion rings were probably the best I have ever had, including in the States! They had spareribs so I had to check them out. The BBQ sauce was not the best, but it was pretty good. More of a Texas style tangy, sweet but they were still good. The plate was huge so I had to skip desert. I really wanted a milkshake but I was just too full. I think we will visit one more time before we leave. And guess what, they had Ben & Jerry's ice cream! First time I've seen that over here too. One of the owners came over and sat with us a few minutes and talked about their dream of starting that diner. Turns out, they just opened this past Saturday. Rodney and I gave them a true southern US thumbs up!!!

 
  I have to say again that I really enjoy the way the Germans slow down for their evening meals. We sat and talked a long while after we finished the meal and not once did we feel pressured to move on. Matter of fact, you are very likely to strike up conversations with complete strangers in small places like this diner. Super laid back and a wonderful way to enjoy the afternoon. Of course, being by myself -without wife or kids- makes this really seem like a big change for me. But if they were here, I'm sure they would enjoy the change just as well. At least Andrea would  ;)

  The town here of Esslingen has changed a little from my trip earlier this year. The bear looking hills that surround the village are now covered with grape vines. The trees are starting to turn colors. I have a pic from the top of our hotel that shows just how beautiful it is here. I couldn't get outside, so I had to snap shots though the windows. If I can catch the doors open up there I will get some really good shots.


  Rodney and I also took a little jaunt Saturday. We had plans to visit a German castle -the real one that Disney based their princess castle on- but a slight error in programming the GPS got us off coarse. By the time we found out how we got off track, we were closer to Switzerland than the castle. So that is where we ended up. We drove all through the mountains that border Germany and Switzerland. Some of the scenery was truly breath taking. Rodney wasn't feeling well -he gets car sick and those mountain roads we crazy!- so I didn't stop to take pictures. I regret that big time now. Switzerland was super nice and I wish we had more time to spend there.




So that's enough for now. Lots of love to my Baby and my kids! I miss you guys a WHOLE LOT! See you real soon.
DP

No comments:

Post a Comment