Wednesday, February 16, 2011

2/16/11 in Hirschaid

  I need to start this one by saying I'm sorry. I was so tired last night that I was not able to post anything. We drove from Magdeburg to Bamberg yesterday afternoon which was about a 3.5 hour drive. The traffic here is just crazy. Imagine I-85 though Atlanta and that is just about every autobahn you get on. Not stop and go driving, but constant lane changes and trying to watch all 4 directions, all the time. Driving in the left lane too slow is just as dangerous as switching lanes without looking. I didn't do either of those, but just giving an example. Honestly! Because we done so much driving, there wasn't much picture taking going on. Once we got to the Villa Geyersworth, we did go out to try and find an electronics store and some supper. After 45 minutes, we ended up back at the hotel empty handed and hungry. The weird thing about hotels over here, almost every one of them has a nice restaurant on the ground floor. I'm not sure how they stay open with so much competition, but they always are. So we had a very good steak with fried potatoes and grilled tomatoes. I didn't care for the tomatoes, even those I love fresh tomatoes, but the steak was great. I snapped a few pics with my cell phone just so I would have something to show.
I think their medium is our medium rare, but it was still delicious. That is gravy on the plate!

Nice place settings
And the hotel is super nice. My pictures are a little rough, but were taken without flash to best show the real setting. The only problem I have with this place is where it is located. We have to drive through the middle of Bamberg to get in or out. While there are no trams like in Magdeburg, the buses, bicycles, and walkers are everywhere. And the roads are wild. We went down one street that was a 2 way road, but cars were parked all along the sides, so it is just a little over 1 lane wide. It still had 2 lanes of traffic so everyone is scrambling around pulling in holes and allowing people to pass. Or speeding around other cars to get though. After driving like this on high alert for 4 hours, there was no way I could handle a post last night! But anyway, here is the room.







Every place we have been, the people have all been very friendly and helpful. At work, everyone has went out of their way to make us feel accepted. We have eaten with others here joining us and covering our meal almost as much as we have eaten by ourselves. Tonight we are to go out to eat pizza with a colleague that we met today. It is nice to have people to help you out and take their time with you when you are so far from home. I am glad that I have been able to do this for others in the states and have decided that I should do it much more often, if I have the chance.

I've been asked several times about my training plan for my new job. The machines I will be working with have technology that we have no experience with in Cheraw. Everyone I have talked to that has experience are telling me I need to spend at least 3 months over here with the guys who are working on the machines now. I don't know how that will go over with my boss. If that is true and I do have to come back, Baby you better pack ya'lls bags cause I am not doing 3 months alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment